What is Sustainability?
According to the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development, sustainability means, “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” Sustainability is not an end goal, but a journey.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
Regional Health aspires to be a national leader in promoting a healthy environment that optimizes the care of our patients and the well-being of our caregivers while nurturing the resources we bring to the task.
Regional Heath will achieve this commitment by:
- Creating a safe and supportive environment for patients and caregivers
- Minimizing energy consumption and maximizing the use of renewable, non-polluting, natural resources, particularly in buildings and transportation
- Eliminating waste by reducing, re-purposing, and recycling
- Eliminating, minimizing, and containing toxic materials used in construction, finishes, and equipment
- Establishing benchmarks and standards in pursuit of these goals with regular milestones to establish progress
- Communicating, educating, and practicing in the wider community according to these principles
- Engaging national leaders in sustainable health care to support and educate Regional Health in the pursuit of these goals
In order to minimize energy consumption, Regional Health will maximize the use of renewable, non-polluting, natural resources including buildings and modes of transportation.
Regional Health eliminates waste by reducing, repurposing, and recycling materials that are utilized on a daily basis. Additionally, special considerations are given to eliminating, minimizing, and containing toxic materials used in construction, finishes, and equipment.
Regional Health is actively implementing procedures in order to reduce water consumption. Waste water treatment processes including hydro cavitation are constantly being evaluated and implemented in order to reduce the amount of water consumed.
In order to support our commitment, we regularly attend informative and educational programs throughout the region that pertain to sustainable practices.