Having surgery is an important decision. With advances in medicine, technology and anesthesia, surgery is a lot less invasive than it used to be. Patients recover more quickly, so they can get back to their lives.
At Regional Health, our surgical care teams in Rapid City and Spearfish include skilled, experienced surgeons and specialists equipped with the latest diagnostic and surgical technology.
We have board-certified surgeons who provide evaluation and treatment for a full range of general surgery conditions. Our providers work collaboratively with a specialized support team to monitor your progress through recovery and beyond to ensure your best path to recovery.
Surgical services include:
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Breast surgery
- Dialysis access
- Gastrointestinal surgery: gastric, pancreatic, gallbladder and biliary system, liver, adrenal, small intestine, colon and rectal
- Hernia surgery: ventral, umbilical, inguinal and complex abdominal wall hernias
- Hemorrhoid procedures
- Surgical oncology
- Trauma and acute care surgery
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Thoracic surgery including video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
What types of surgical procedures are available?
Depending on your medical condition and history, you may receive a recommendation from your surgeon for a specific surgical method available at Regional Health, such as:
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Minimally-invasive open surgery
- da Vinci® Robotic Surgery, to include single incision surgery
- Open surgery
What is Robotic-Assisted Surgery?
The da Vinci® Surgical System is an advanced robotic system that is less invasive than traditional laparoscopic surgery. Controlled by a skilled surgeon, tiny tools enter the body through small incisions and translate the surgeon’s hand movements into precise, small actions inside your body. As a result, the surgeon can operate on a smaller scale with enhanced vision and exacting movements. Robotic-Assisted Surgery is only available at our Rapid City location.
This advanced, minimally-invasive surgical system has the potential benefits of:
- Less pain
- Little or no scar
- Less recovery time
- Shorter hospital stay
- Low rate of wound infection
If you’d like to know more, talk to your Rapid City surgeon to see if you would be a good candidate for robotic surgery.