As your community health care system, we are committed to providing comprehensive, high-quality health care for you and your family. We want you to be informed about the billing policies, procedures and services available to you.
Financial Assistance Policy — Plain Language Summary
Regional Health offers a Financial Assistance Program to patients who live in our service area that have healthcare needs and are uninsured, underinsured, or are not eligible for a government or any other insurance programs. Under Regional Health Financial Assistance policy, you may be eligible for a partial or full reduction of your bill.
Eligibility is based upon your total household size and income, when compared to the federal poverty guidelines. Verification of your household income is required to determine eligibility. Our patients must also apply for Medicaid, employer available insurance, Healthcare Marketplace Insurance, and any other available insurance offered, and be denied coverage.
To apply for financial assistance, you must complete a Financial Assistance Application form. Regional Health offers free copies of our financial assistance policy and application forms (see below). These forms are available in many languages upon request. We also have designated caregivers available to assist you through the application process.
The following options are available to obtain and submit the application.
- MyChart: With MyChart, you can securely apply for assistance through our online patient portal.
- Online: Visit our website at www.regionalhealth.org. Select Patients & Visitors and then select “Financial Assistance”.
- Telephone: Call 605-755-7500 to request a copy be mailed to your home.
- In-Person: Any Admission/Registration or Emergency Department within any Regional Health Hospital or Clinic. To obtain a listing of physical addresses for our facilities, you can visit our website at www.regionalhealth.org and click on the Locations link. You may also contact 605-755-7500 for the address of a hospital or clinic.
You will not be charged more for emergency or medically necessary care than the current Medicare rates for the amount you owe. Regional Health will not engage in extraordinary collection activities, such as liens or garnishments, before making reasonable efforts to determine eligibility for Financial Assistance and a partial or full reduction of a patient’s billing.
- Financial Assistance Policy
- Attachment A – Financial Assistance Program Exclusions
- Attachment B – Financial Assistance Program Definitions
- Attachment C – Financial Assistance Family Medicine Residency Clinic
- Attachment D – Financial Assistance Charitable and 501(c)(3) Referrals
- Attachment E – Financial Assistance Service Area Zip Code List
- Financial Assistance Policy – Plain Language Summary
- Financial Assistance Application
- 2019 Financial Assistance Policy Income and Debt Reduction Matrix
- Providers covered by the financial assistance policy
- Providers not covered by the financial assistance policy
- About Your Hospital Bill
- Solicitude De Asistencia Financiera
- Spanish Version Financial Assistance Policy
- Spanish Version Financial Assistance plain language summary
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Financial Assistance Programs?
These programs are designed to assist patients who are either financially or medically necessitous.
The programs, depending on your circumstances, may result in your having no obligation to pay for services provided, or may result in a discount of the charges billed to you. Each Regional Health hospital participates in the Financial Assistance Programs.
Extended Payment Plan
If you cannot pay the balance of your bill within 365 days, you will be offered an Extended Payment Plan. This allows you to make monthly payments.
A representative from our office will work with you to establish an agreeable repayment plan, but the plan will include interest.
Who is eligible for Regional Health's Financial Assistance Programs?
Depending upon your financial circumstances you might be asked to provide financial information regarding your income. Your financial assets and liabilities may also be considered when determining your ability to pay. Regional Health also uses income limits issued by the Federal Poverty Guidelines to determine a person’s eligibility for financial assistance.
For more information about our Financial Assistance Programs, please call Patient Financial Services at 605-755-7660.
Are all services covered?
Only medically necessary care is covered on Regional Health’s Financial Assistance Program. Please see Attachment A – Financial Assistance Program Exclusions.