How to apply to residency or clerkships
The Regional Health Rapid City Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program is a participant in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
Applications will be accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and must include:
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE transcripts for M.D. graduates or COMLEX transcripts for D.O applicants
- MSPE (dean’s letter)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- All applicants must have completed at least one year of formal training in the U.S. at either an LCME or AOA accredited medical school or accredited residency. (Note: clerkships and observerships completed in the U.S. do not count towards this requirement.)
- You must be eligible for licensure in South Dakota which requires passage of each part of the USMLE or COMLEX in 3 attempts or less, and in a 7-year time span (from first attempt on part 1 through successful completion of all parts).
- As a condition of initial and/or ongoing employment, Resident must obtain a South Dakota Resident License (SDRL) as required by South Dakota State law prior to entry into the training program. Contract shall be null and void if SDRL is not obtained or maintained as required. All requirements for resident license eligibility, as set forth by the South Dakota Board of Medical & Osteopathic Examiners, are incorporated into the residency application requirements.
- Resident Physician Eligibility and Selection (PDF).
If you do not meet the above criteria, applications may also be considered if:
- You meet the above criteria for USMLE/COMLEX
- Your medical school graduation date is within the last 3 years
- You hold a currently valid ECFMG certificate (for international graduates)
- You have permanent U.S. residency or citizenship (We will consider sponsorship of J-1 visas only and you are responsible for addressing any visa/citizenship issues as we do not have staff to do this for you.)